Nikon Coolpix S4000
Released March, 2010
The Pros:Small enough to easily fit in a shirt or pants pocket. Battery lasts a very long time between charges. Touchscreen is easy to work with, seems large when being used despite its actual size.
The Cons:Does not include HDMI output. Deleting an individual photo results in a long pause before it completes. Long pause between button press and shutter release.
The Nikon Coolpix S4000 is the successor to the Coolpix S230, announced by Nikon in February 2010 along with another new S series model, the Coolpix S3000. Both come in a choice of colors(7 colors for the S3000 and 5 for this one), and support SD cards as well as USB.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
This model however offers a 3" 460k-dot TFT LCD touch-screen replete with stylus for drawing pictures on frames as well as editing and paint function, and there is also the ability to record HD video with sound to AVI file. Another feature that makes good use of the touch-screen is a 'touch' shutter which lets you touch the monitor where you would like the camera to focus and it is done automatically. Like the entry level S3000, it has 12 mege-pixel resolution and a wide-angle 4x optical zoom NIKKOR lens, as well as a host of enhanced shooting features like subject tracking, smart portrait mode with smile timer, red-eye fix, blink proofing, skin softening and more. It also comes with an internal 45MB SD card which can be removed or files can be backed up to computer via the USB connection. Available in bronze, black, pink, gloss champagne and plum.
- Effective pixels: 12.0 million
- Lens: 4x zoom NIKKOR; 4.9-19.6mm (35mm  format picture angle: 27-108mm); f/3.2-5.9; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 432mm)
- Focus range (from lens): Approx. 50 cm (1 ft. 8 in.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: Approx. 8 cm (3.2 in.) to infinity (∞)
- Monitor: 3-in., approx. 460k-dot, TFT LCD with touch screen control and anti-reflection coating
- Storage media: Internal memory (approx. 45 MB), SD memory cards
- ISO sensitivity: ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, Auto (auto gain ISO 80-1600), Fixed range auto (ISO 80-400, 80-800)
- Interface: Hi-Speed USB
- Power sources: Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10 (supplied), Charging AC Adapter EH-68P/EH-68P (AR) (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62D (optional), Battery Charger MH-63 (optional)
- Battery life: Approx. 190 shots with EN-EL10 battery
- Dimensions (WxHxD): Approx. 94.5 x 56.5 x 20.4 mm (3.8 x 2.3 x 0.8 in.) excluding projections
- Weight: Approx. 131 g (4.7 oz.) with battery and SD memory card
- Supplied accessories: Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10, Charging AC Adapter EH-68P/EH-68P (AR), USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP19, Stylus, Software Suite CD-ROM
User Reviews (2)
small enough to easily fit in a shirt or pants pocket
battery lasts a very long time between charges
touchscreen is easy to work with, seems large when being used despite its actual size
start up and shut down is very fast
tons of color options available
does not include HDMI output
deleting an individual photo results in a long pause before it completes
long pause between button press and shutter release
You may also like...